Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Comedy at its Best!!!!!


I saw an interview of Carol Burnett and Jim Carrey on the Oprah Winfrey show and it dawned on me how great Carol Burnett is. During the interview Jim Carrey was so intimidated and awestrucked with Carol Burnett, just Carol's presence made Jim so timid, like a school boy. Jim really respected Carol. He said he grew up watching Carol and her famous show The Carol Burnett Show. He said he was 10 years old when he wrote a letter to Carol asking her to be part of her show. Jim said that Carol made a big impact in his life, it was Carol who was instrumental for the success that Jim is enjoying now, it was watching The Carol Burnett show that motivated Jim to be in comedy and to make it his way of life.


After watching the Oprah show I immediately downloaded excerpts or some videos and outtakes from The Carol Burnett Show on youtube, boy did I went in a worm hole and went back to the 1960's and 1970's, figuratively speaking. I was so enthralled at how great the show was, how professional and realistically humorous and funny Carol and her co-stars were in the tv show. I heard about the tv show since I was a child but I have not really watched an episode of The Carol Burnett Show. Actually I wasn't born yet when the show started, I was born during the latter part of the show, maybe it's last four seasons. The show stayed on the air for 11 successful seasons. And it won a lot of Emmy and Golden Globe awards for both Carol and her cast and crew.


Speaking of the other people on the show I enjoyed watching Tim Conway, he was very hysterical, a born comedian and so witty, his antics were so famous that even his co-stars including Carol could not stop but crack up during some of the scenes on the show. He was very good in ad libs, he sometimes went on his own way, diverting away from the script and it made his co-stars lose their composures, especially his co-male actor Harvey Korman who was always Tim's victim in his outtakes. I watched Tim's famous outtake about the Elephant Story, it was so hilarious that while I was watching it in youtube it made me laugh so hard that I laughed my brains out. And Vicki Lawrence was so good too, considering that she's the youngest in the group and a first timer in television. I really admire the group for their dedication, professionalism and hard work. No other shows could topple The Carol Burnett Show, it had set a very high standard and left an indelible mark on the tv industry and its audience, it will forever remain to be the best tv show ever made, it will be on the top of my list. One of the greatest show ever on tv. One of my favorite.


Thank you Carol, your show is truly appreciated, after 30 years since it was last seen on prime time tv, every Saturday night, it is still sought after. It is now on dvd and I'm hoping to be able to get copies of it.

No comments: